Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mary Cate hit the 1 week mark!



Hello and welcome to this addition of Mary Cate’s World [because she’s the boss as the doctors say (which I find amazing because I have been trying to wrestle that title away from my wife for years and Mary Cate hadn’t been born for an hour and had claimed it. I guess my daughter is just that good]. In this episode we will be discussing Daddy's diaper change, Mommy's lack of luck with her 2nd attempt at a diaper change, and the state of Mary Cate’s health from how her breathing is, to how her heart murmur is doing. A lot to cover so lets jump in.

First the diaper changing, I have officially changed my first diaper and for those keeping track it was a poopie one. I feel that I did an OK job, there is definitely room for improvement but for a first attempt it was way better than first golf swing so I am feeling pretty good. On the other hand my wife took her second stab at changing a diaper and she made the cardinal mistake of putting her hands in the splash zone. So when the diaper came off Brigit got peed on for the first of many wettings I would guess.

Now on to the more serious stuff and the real reason you all check the blog, to find out how Mary Cate is doing? The answer to that question is good. Her breathing and her blood gases keep improving and she is less stressed everyday. She is still breathing room air and her rate has dropped again to 32 bpm. Which is good. Now the news on the murmur. Mary Cate had an Ecko (which is an ultrasound of the heart) yesterday and the doctor said that the Ecko showed them that Mary Cate did indeed have PDA (that is the condition I described in the previous post) and that it was bigger than they first expected it was. They are treating with a medicine that constricts blood vessels so hopefully it will seal up with out surgery but she is scheduled for another Ecko next week and if this drug doesn’t work they will go in and clamp off the blood vessel that is causing the problem. She also had her head CT today and we are awaiting those results tomorrow.

So overall things are going good. Mom and Dad are holding themselves together pretty well on this roller coaster ride of emotion. We are holding firm to the promise that the good Lord is carrying us through. Thank you for the prayers and know that we appreciate all you all are doing for us!!!

4 comments:

Brian & Michelle said...

Love the pictures and the update. We're still praying for you and know lots of other people are too! Our friends had twins born a year and a half ago at 25 weeks, and they are doing great now, getting into everything and wreaking chaos in the house! Hang in there.

Michelle

Unknown said...

So glad to get the updates. We prayed for each of you at CareNet today. The whole family is praying, children included. Love you,
Floyd and Bobbie Price

erin and britt said...

Hey! When I saw even Bobbie and Floyd had left a message, I figured I better say hey too. Actually, I was just shocked that they know how to do it! The picture is great...I do see a little Brigit around the eyes! Will be praying for heart and brain scans. We love you all, Erin and Britt

Anonymous said...

Of course Mary was born in Wisconsin she was anxious to be a cheesehead like her mom and Mrs. Judge. Mary is BEAUTIFUL!!!We are tickled for the 3 of you and continue to pray Gods blessings over you. It goes without saying but you know if you need anything let us know.
We love you!!!!!!!
The Judge Gang