Saturday, June 28, 2008

Dad is gone.....



.....and Mary Cate knows it. With Chris gone I have the privledge of doing my best to keep everyone up to speed on Mary Cate's life here in the NICU. Even though it has only been three days so far, let me tell you this daughter of mine is giving me a run for my money. The one and only reason I was excited for Chris to leave was the fact that I got to hold so Mary Cate every day!!!! So I arrive day 1 ready to go and they place her on my chest---as they do that I think to myself---this is the MOST clear her chest has ever sounded (I can usually hear a little rattle as she is breathing, so I am thinking this is a great sign)---give it about one minute and there are nurses and doctors everywhere---the reason she was so clear was because she decided it would be a good day to cough her breathing tube out---so the real reason she sounded so clear was because she wasn't breathing at all----I quickly removed myself from her bedside and went out in the waiting room and let the doctors do their thing. In a matter of seconds she was fine and had a new tube in. Day 2 went much smoother. Then day 3 came along. I got ready to hold her and they placed her in my arms again---she was fine for about 15 minutes and then I noticed she was a bit more raspy than normal. The nurse overheard it and said "oh that's not good" to which I responded "ok well you can go ahead and take her then." The nurse took her back and once again I removed myself from the situation. This time it took a bit longer because they kept checking the tube and thought it was fine, but eventually came to the conclusion that once again it had gotten out of place. They then proceeded to insert again, another tube, and she has been fine since, her mother on the other hand is a bit gun shy to hold her and would like her to quiet down until daddy gets back.

On another note, mommy is enjoying the down time with Mary Cate. After working for so many years, it has been so nice to just sit at her bedside and hang out with her everyday. I do wish so badly there was more that I could do for her right now but I do my best to let her know we are here and love her soooo much!! I try to let her listen to her IPOD at least once a day for a bit and read to her so she will begin to recognize my voice. It is amazing how fast the time goes.

She is up to 2lbs 8oz now and eating 6 CC's of Mommy's milk, which they tell me is a little over a teaspoon (chow down wide load). It is hard to beleive that she is almost a month old. Overall, in the midst of the bumps in the road, she seems to be doing well. Her next door neighbor Ian was doing great but unfortunately they had to transfer him to All Childrens for a surgery so we do not know his status at this point, we miss him and continue to pray for him. I will keep you up to speed on any other news from the bedside, but our hope is that she would quiet down and only give her momma what she can handle---which is not much more at this point!!

No comments: