Monday, July 7, 2008

Mary Cate's Great News

Yes you heard here first great news from the NICU. Mary Cate decided late last night (somewhere around 4 am) that she was tired of being attached to the ventilator and she was ready to try this breathing thing on her own. After trying to explain her decision to the nurses and the doctors with no avail she resorted to the only thing she could think of, she cough up her ventilator tube. That got the attention of the nurses and the doctor very quickly and after her explaining why she had to resort to such extreme measures the doctor agreed to try her on C-PAP (which is a single bar that goes into her nose but not into her lungs, it stills gives her O2 but no more help with the breathing). So now Mary Cate is breathing on her own!!!!!! (This is where dad would like to remind everyone that it doesn’t mean that she wont go back on the vent but it does mean she is progressing nicely) and if you think you are excited about this news your excitement pales in comparison to the euphoric high my wife was on this morning when nurse Amy told her about the news (just to give you some insight their was dancing and screaming in the Shea household, loud enough to wake up anyone, including me, from a sound sleep).

It has been a great day here in the NICU one in which we have felt your prayers and also watched God answer them. Thank you so much for all you all are doing.

9 comments:

The Juehrings said...

Good Show, Mary Cate!!! You are such a little miracle!!! It is obvious you have those fightin' Irish genes! Keep up the great work! We can't wait to see you again next week.

Love ~ Katie, Ray,
Alexa, Isabella and Gage

beach walker said...

Hello Mary Cate. I'm your great grandpa's sister, Ellen Shiels. I love the blogs your good parents send. I live on Hilton Head Island, S.C. and have many folks praying for you.

chatty said...

Hi Mary Cate! I'm your great grampa's sister's grandchild! my name is Kathleen Millrood I live on Hlton Head island,S.C. and i'm 10 years old. i'm really proud of you sticking thorugh all this at such a young age. I really admire you. You are in my familys and i prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hi I know you can't read this . But I think your idisent . But you don't know what idisent means . My name is SHEA . Your mothers name is Shea . And your name is Shea I will be praying for you. Shea Millrood

flwipf said...

Great News. Keep up the good work Mary Cate. We love all the pictures of you.
Love
The Wipfs

flwipf said...

Great News Mary Cate, Keep fighting for your right to Breathe on your own. We love all the pictures.
Love
The Wipfs

Anonymous said...

Can I say love reading your blogs! Whether from Dad, Mom or Mary Cate's prespective they make me laugh, cry and cheer. Just know you all are in our prayers.

Hugs,
Julie and Maddie O.

Unknown said...

Oh Chris and Brigit! Ever new post makes me more and more excited to have you guys and MC (thats what im gonna call her i decided) here in Fort Myers! SO SO SO SO happy for the good news and am praying for yall!

Love Tay :)

Laurie and Chas Fritz said...

Your blog entries keep us smiling and PRAYING! Keep them coming along with the wonderful photo's of this amazing girl! She is going to have some great stories to tell at Young Life some day!
Love,
Chas and Laurie Fritz