Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Another Day, Another Trial



Sorry to not update in a while, but here is the skinny on Mary Cate. She has had a great couple of weeks. Ever since we got to the NICU they would talk about this "group" of kids---the ones who were basically just eating and growing. They were called "Feeders and Growers." I have been dying for MC to be a part of this elite group of kids and I am happy to say that she finally is!! She has been loving her open crib and has been doing great taking her bottle and nursing more and more every day. She gets about half her feedings from a tube---so we are moving in the right direction.

Daddy came back into for the weekend and we got a fun visit from our FL friends, Jimmy and Heather Price on Saturday!! Daddy left again on Sunday and will be back tomorrow---thank heavens.

Ever since they gave me a room on the pediatric floor I have been begging for Mary Cate to come up there. Finally our doctor today said we could look at her moving up tomorrow.....I was thrilled; then she had her eye exam. Long story short on Friday morning Mary Cate will have laser surgery on both of her eyes. The surgery will begin at 8:45am and will last about 4 hours. Mary Cate will have to go back on the vent because they sedate her and there is a concern she would forget to breathe. They say that the hope is she would come off the vent within 24-48 hours of the surgery being over. There are some risks but overall this a very routine surgery; none the less it probably sets us back a bit which is not fun. I am thankful that Chris will be here and am hoping this is the last of our big obstacles before we bring her home. We have not been given any clues as to when that might be, so we are just holding tight to the fact that it may be close to her due date which is coming up in a few weeks.

Good news is we spoke with the director of the NICU in Fort Myers and I am very confident that Mary Cate will get the attention and care she needs and deserves once we get down there. They have been very understanding of our situation and quite reassuring, I am on my way back to the hospital right now to give her a bath---one of my favorite things to do.

Although I am beginning to get anxious, quite tired and impatient I only need to hold her for about a minute and I am reminded of how far we have come and how amazing God has been. Being a mom is hands down the coolest thing I have ever done====and I have done some pretty cool things! Thanks for your prayers and at this point our requests are that the laser surgery does what it is supposed to do and there are no complications, that once it is over we can quickly return to the place where we are now and that she will continue to progress towards coming home!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jimmy just called from MI and told me how cute Mary Cate is and how much they enjoyed visiting with you. We are eager to see her for ourselves!!
We will be praying for her eye surgery...Laura is in Ginny VanTil's class and she prayed for MC to "get to be 4". Guess we need to explain we're talking wt. not years!!
Love to all, Bobbie and Floyd

Jen said...

Brigit and Chris-

Mary Cate is just so cute! I'll be praying for her as she undergoes the eye surgery! Hope you two are doing well!

-Jen Lenker

vans 2 said...

Praise God for the growth and health of MC! My class prays for MC daily--she is our "prayer project" as we know God loves to hear the prayers of his children--especially first graders. We will be praying often during her eye surgery. May you both find rest and peace as you wait patiently on Him. We are anxious to meet Mary Cate. Much love, Jim & Ginny

Kristen Brooke Courtney Cofer said...

We are praying for Mary Cate right now - during her surgery. God is good and he is definitely using MC, Chris and Brigit Mustaine to do amazing things already. You guys have been great examples of the kind of faith and perseverance the Lord wants his children to have. We love you guys, Blue and Kristen